Air-Fryer "Fried" Asian Tofu Bowl
Updated: Jul 18, 2019
Tofu is a great complete-protein source for vegetarians/vegans or for anyone looking to incorporate more plant-based foods. Tofu is very versatile and can be flavored with many different ingredients. It is also quick and easy to prepare! Enjoy soy products in moderation and choose organic when possible. Typically, tofu is very hard to dry out, yet cook to a crispy texture without the use of excess oil -using an air-fryer is the perfect method!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 3-4 servings
-One package of super firm organic tofu
-1/4-1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
-3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
-1 teaspoon sugar or substitute
-2 teaspoons grated ginger
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
-1/4 teaspoon Sriracha
-1 tablespoon sesame oil
-1/2 lime, juiced
-1 tablespoon corn starch or arrowroot powder
-Green for garnish (cilantro & scallions)
-Sesame seeds (optional)
-Roasted vegetables of choice
-Rice for serving
1. Remove tofu from packaging. Place about 4 paper towels on a plate. Set tofu on top of the plate and cover with more paper towels. Place a cast iron dish or something heavy on top and let sit for 15 minutes, then manually press and squeeze the remaining water out between paper towels.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together Hoisin sauce, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, sesame oil, lime juice, sugar, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, Sriracha, and sesame seeds. Set aside.
3. Cut tofu into bite-sized, square pieces. Place in a medium bowl and stir gently with corn starch and remaining soy sauce until lightly covered.
4. Put tofu mixture into a pre-heated air fryer and cook at 400 degrees for 15 minutes until crispy and light brown. If overcooked, the tofu can become too crispy and less soft in the middle.
5. Heat sauce on medium heat in a medium-large skillet until warm. Set aside until tofu is finished cooking. Once tofu is done, transfer from air-fryer to skillet. Toss tofu in the sauce until covered.
6. Place rice and roasted vegetables of choice in a serving bowl. Place coated tofu on top and garnish with scallions and cilantro.
(Per serving tofu) Calories: 238, Total Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 1.4g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Total Carbohydrates: 23g, Sugar: 16g, Protein 13g, Calcium: 8%, Iron 13%
(Served with 1/2 cup steamed brown rice, 1 cup broccoli and 1 cup Brussel sprouts baked, light EVOO non-stick spray) Calories: 350, Total Fat: 12g, Cholesterol: 22mg, Total Carbohydrates: 44g, Sugar 17g, Protein: 16g, Calcium: 9%, Iron 17%, Vitamin C 38%